Thursday, December 16, 2010

A la prochaine, Senegal!

I just finished all of my finals and papers!!! Whooo! In the past four days I have written three pages in Wolof, ten pages in English, and 16 in French. Tonight I will finally get to sleep without feeling guilty.

I have not done much in the past week due to finals, so this is not really going to be an interesting blog entry... just a forewarning.

Now that I am done with all academic work, the reality of leaving Senegal is really sinking in. As much as I want to go home, I will really miss many elements of life here. The group of us students have become very close the past four months, and saying good-bye is going to be really tough. Additionally, I really really don't know how I am going to leave Soso. She has been so wonderful, everything I could have ever hoped for in a host mother. On Monday night she gave me a t-shirt as a parting gift, and this is the most beautiful t-shirt I have ever seen. It is literally like a painting on a t-shirt, showing a collage of scenes from Senegal: a Baobab tree, a scene from Goree Island, and a car rapide. I think I may frame it. The weather here has been quite lovely, in the 80-90 degree range, typically sunny, perfect beach weather. The other day (taking into consideration the windchill) there was over a 100 -degree difference between Dakar and Chicago. I may freeze to death when I go back.

Tuesday night we had a final group dinner. There were several student performances, including my dance group. One student, Claire, shared her talent for opera with us. There were also a few poems read aloud. A group of students made superlatives for everyone and wrote them on paper plates. My paper plate read: "Most Malaria Tests, Best Looking in Braids, and Most likely to know the nutritional value of what you're eating."

Yesterday morning we had a "re-entry" meeting, which was in a way like a reverse orientation/group therapy session. We were forewarned that counter culture shock is a real thing, and given suggestions on how to cope with it. We also expressed our concerns with leaving and what we're going to miss. The whole thing was really emotional and over half of us were crying by the end (including one of the directors).

I have four days left in Senegal. In that time I plan on packing everything, going to the beach, going out to this renowed Lebanese restaurant in Dakar, going to N'Ice Cream, the best ice cream ever, one more time, and then taking a day trip to the Island of Goree one more time. I leave Monday at 11:35 PM. I have a layover in Paris, and then I will arrive in DC on the 21st around 1 PM (inshallah). After spending a day in DC, I fly to Chicago the morning of the 22nd. And then I will be home for the holidays!

This is my second-to-last entry. After arriving in the States, I will write my conclusion to this blog. I would attempt now to write one, but I really need to gather my thoughts on these past four months first.

A la prochaine/Ba beneen yoon/Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment