I will never take the internet for granted again. After possessing a smart phone for over a year, I have grown accustomed to having internet access anywhere at anytime. Normally, any ponderance, any question that I have will be answered in a matter of seconds. That is not the case anymore.
Classes have started. Every class I am taking is in French, so we'll have to see how this goes... Normally if I zone out in class it is not too great of a problem because I can quickly catch up. In classes taught in French, that is not so easy. The classes are twice a week at an hour and 45 minutes at a time, which is longer than I'm used to, so paying attention thus far has been difficult. Another immediate difference I've noticed is that all the professors here use the French grading system, which means that the majority of the grade is based on a final exam or paper or project. I'm used to getting mountains of reading and homework in the first week of class, but so far I've had only one homework assignment.
I've walked to school and back every day so far, which I'm estimating to be about 1.5 miles. Greeting the people you pass is considered a common courtesy here, so I say "Bonjour" to most people (or if I'm feeling bold, "Salaamaalekum"). People often look serious but with a simple hello or how are you they become very friendly. I've been asked several times why I'm walking instead of taking a taxi or a car rapide; people just don't understand why I would go through the effort of trekking it to campus. On my walk to school, I am generally accompained by a random guy who wants to talk to me (often to practice English). Usually they have never heard the name Rebecca before, so they make me repeat the name about five times. One guy actually asked me to spell it out for him because he still couldn't pronounce it. Elizabeth (from my host family) likes to say, "Rebecca!" whenever she sees me. The first few times I thought it was because she actually had something to say to me, but then I realized it is just because she likes to say it. I have always wanted an exotic name, and now I finally have one!
The roads are insane. Although the main ones are paved, many are dirt roads. There aren't any traffic signals anywhere and people are quite reckless with their driving. Pedestrians do not have the right of way or any other special rights. Since there aren't any crosswalks, J-walking is the only way to cross the street. Cars, buses, scooters, horses and buggies, and the occassional bike or two share the road. The smaller roads and alleyways between lines of houses are patrolled by stray cats and sheep. The amount of sheep in Dakar is ridiculous, and it makes me sad because most of them will be used as sacrifices to celebrate the end of Ramadan. One of the guys here has a goat in his host family's backyard, and he asked them if he could name it. They looked at him like he was crazy and said it wasn't necessary.
[Somewhat random:] Power outages are commonplace here. In class, there have been a few outages so far. I find it rather entertaining, because if the lights go out the professor does not even flinch or anything, s/he just proceeds with the lecture as though nothing has happened.
I came to a realization yesterday as I was walking to campus that I have not felt self conscious since getting to Dakar. The conservative nature of dress here definitely contributes to this, along with the fact that bigger people are considered more aesthetically pleasing. The other night, Soso made me a huge plate of carrots, potatoes, cabbages and onions. I was very full (I had already eaten probably an entire baguette that day) before I finished it, but when I got up she told me that I had to eat the entire thing. Thus, I had to sit at the table, like a little kid, until I finished the entire plate.
No comments:
Post a Comment